Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How do you remember your art experiences...?


I am the Art teacher at the Hills and I am curious to know about your experiences growing up in the ART room as an student. Did you have an Art teacher in your elementary school when you where growing up? What type of teacher was s/he? What stood out the most about the Art room to you?

2 comments:

  1. I never had art in school until I was in 8th grade. My 8th grade art teacher was near retirement when I met her. She had to leave for major surgery halfway through the year. The long term sub let us explore any 2D project we wanted, as long as we OK'd it with her first. She just said if we made a plan and it was reasonable, we could do it. I tried out every art material we had in that class that spring.

    My high school art teacher was not great, but I think her total lack of interest in teaching made me want to learn more and help my classmates. My friend said at one point that I might as well be the teacher since I was always the person helping everyone understand the assignments in the class. It made me realize that maybe if I learned more about art that I might actually be able to teach it one day.

    Now I work in an art museum and I teach with and about art all the time. It just goes to show that different people react to bad classroom experiences in different ways. I know lots of my classmates were turned off of art forever because they felt confused or unqualified to make art in that high school class, but the experience pushed me to learn more and helped me get where I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilian I know what you mean, although all of my Art Teachers seemed to have rocked! The one I will say that had the mightiest impact was my high school art teacher Ms. Jones at Town View Magnet. She really encouraged me to believe in my own talent and introduced me to my first commission as an artist :-)

    ReplyDelete